Birthday Friend

Welcome...I'm so glad you could stop by today!  Settle in, grab a coffee, tea, piece of chocolate or whatever your vise may be, relax and take a peek around!

Today I would like to share with you our challenge over at Twist of Faith Card Challenges which is "Children".  Now this is open to interpretation...you can showcase an image of a child(ren), or make a card to give to a child.  We are so excited to be sponsored this week by Milk Coffee!  Be sure to check out their store!  The random winner will receive 5 digis!  How awesome!

MilkCoffee

I had the pleasure of using their digi stamp "Charlotte". 

Now I knew exactly what I would use this image for when it was presented to me.  My daughter has a close friend who is celebrating a birthday shortly and I wanted to make her an extra special card.  These two young 10 year olds have been friends since birth and enjoy each others company.  Well, I came across a piece of designer paper I had been hoarding for quite sometime...and thought the colors would be absolutely stunning with this digi image.  It was from the Bo Bunny Collection called Alora.  I water colored "Charlotte" with my Tim Holtz distress markers, taking my color scheme from this amazing paper. 

Here's a look at how it all turned out...


Let's look a little closer...


And here's a better photo of that darling image I had the pleasure of creating with...


I had so much fun designing this little labor of love.  Most of the elements on this page such as the flowers, word sentiments and background paper have all been used from the same piece of card stock.  I did a bunch of fussy cutting to get the elements I wanted to include on the card.  The circle die cuts behind the digi (Spellbinders Nestabilities Circle and Circle with Lace) have been cut with the BigShot and I have used some designer paper from the  "Tattered and Worn" collection by Recollections. I also used the Sissix dies "Decorative Flourishes" to add some whimsy to the card.  I chose to give some of the flowers a 3D effect by running the edges over my bone folder so that they would appear to be popping off the page.  I also used some pop up dots on the digi image itself, as well as on the birdhouse and little birdie in the corner (also fussy cut from the Alora card stock).  Lastly, if I know anything about little 10 year old girls, it's that they are desperately trying to grow up and act older, but that they still also love their sparkles and bling.  So I decided to use some Crystal Stickles on the centres of the flowers I curled, and also added some Platinum Liquid Pearls to the lacy circle die cut.

I wanted to do something a little different than the usual "Happy Birthday" sentiment, and as you know here at Twist of Faith we require everyone to use either a scripture, or an uplifting or encouraging sentiment.  When I found these three words on the Alora paper, I felt that this a message I would want to tell all little girls in this day and age...wish, dream and love.  I find that children in general these days are required to grow up much more quickly than my generation ever had to.  The pressures for a girl are enormous...to look the right way, to dress with the in crowd and to conform to whatever your friends may be doing.  I wish these young girls would all realize that there is so much more for them...make wishes, follow your dreams and love one another!  And most importantly walk with Jesus...He will help you with your wishes, dreams and to be able to love when it doesn't seem possible.

And as for the gift to accompany this card...well, there was much thought put into that as well.  My daughters friend is an avid reader...however purchasing books is not the easiest thing to do when you're never quite sure if they've read the ones you have in mind.  As I was browsing in Michaels the other day, I came across these books in the American Girl line.


I was pretty sure I had never heard the Bday girls mom say that she had read anything in this series, so I took a chance and purchased them.  From everything I've read about them, they are an uplifting series encouraging young girls to be the best they can be.  So I hope these will be a hit!

Thanks for sitting down and taking time to visit with me here today!  I so appreciate it when you stop by!  Be sure to link up your "children" submissions over with us at Twist of Faith, and take time to check out the other DT members beautiful projects! You'll be glad you did!
Until next time...


This card has been submitted to the following challenges...

Dream Valley Challenges..."Summer"
Pile It On..."Anything Goes"
Robyn's Fetish..."Friendship Card with Sentiment on Front"
Oldie But A Goodie Challenge..."Best Dressed" (designer card stock older than 6 months)
Party Time Tuesdays..."Anything Goes"
Tuesday Throwdown..."Birthday"
C is for Challenge..."Fresh & Bright"
Craftin Desert Divas..."Birthday Party Linky Party
Tammy's Scrappin Corner..."Use a Digi"
The Crazy Challenge..."Summer"
Victorine Stamps..."Summer Colors"
Word Play Saturday..."Birthday"
C.R.A.F.T..."For the Girls"
Happy Campers..."Summer"
Inky Impressions..."Birthday"
Word Art Wednesdays..."Anything Goes"
Wags n Whiskers..."Photo Inspiration"
Brown Sugar Challenges..."Love"

Update:  This card has placed in the following challenges...




21 comments

Papercrafting Princess said...

Such a pretty card and I'm sure she will keep it posted in her room for inspiration!

Nancy said...

Beautiful card, Tracey! :o)

Sandy said...

very pretty card! Thank you for joining us today at Party Time Tuesdays! Hope to see you next week.

Zella said...

Tracey, I love your card!!! How sweet that you made a card for your daughter's friend....it's so pretty!!! I'm so glad you're part of the Twist of Faith Design Team!

Karen Letchworth said...

Hi Tracey: What a pretty card and a darling Milk Coffee image. Thanks so much for sharing this in our challenge this week. I'm very grateful to have you play along, and look forward to visiting and seeing more of your art. Have a great week!
Blessings,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Alex said...

I love your card !
Is so cute !
I love the colours and embelishments !

Can you come to my blog to be a member ?Please .

Crafty Hugs,
Alex

Deloris said...

Super cute card! Thanks for joining the challenge at Wags n Whiskers!

NickScrapShack said...

This is a fantastic card! Love the way you put it together.

Thank you for joining us at Brown Sugar this week.
Good luck!
Nick

Ginny Maxam said...

Hi Tracey! What a sweet card, it is delightful!! your coloring ins awesome!!What a per gift too I am sure your daughters friend will love both!! Have a great week!
Hugs,
Ginny M

Qie said...

Great card and cute too. Thanks for joining Our challenge at Brown Sugar. Good luck.
DT Qie

Unknown said...

thank you for joining us at Robyns Fetish challenge a lovely card

Unknown said...

This is just wonderfull. Love that image and your colors. Thank you so much for joining us at Craftin Desert Divas “Birthday“ Linky Party. New Linky Party starts Monday hope you will join us again!!

Tara
Craftin Desert Diva's

Kimberly S said...

What a sweet image, and lots of colors! I'm sure the birthday girl will love it. Thanks so much for joining us for the Wags n Whiskers challenge! :) hugs, Kimberly

Antoinette/Cultivate Life in Joy said...

Hi Tracey...I love your sweet card and know the Birthday girl is going love all the details you put into it. I can just see her and her Mom enjoying all the precious details together.

I absolutely love the way you colored Charlotte and made her come to life with paper and your wonderful creativity. You are a blessing to work with on Twist of Faith Design Team.
Hugs,
Antoinette

WendyP said...

Great card - thanks for joining us at Robyn's Fetish challenge blog this week

crafty-stamper said...

love your cute image and all the details on your card -thanks for joining us at Tammy's scrapin Corner
Carol DT x

Sharon said...

This is a fabulous summer card and thank you for sharing this with us at Dream Valley.
Hugs Sharon. X

Dips said...

Gosh, what a super card, I love the way your colouring co-ordinates with your gorgeous paper. Thank you so much for taking part in my challenge on an Oldie But A Goodie. Don’t forget to pop by on Tuesday to see our new challenge. Keep using up all that old stash!

Helen said...

Beautiful card - such pretty colours!
Thanks for playing at Oldie but a Goodie!
Helen x

Heather said...

Congrats on your win and placing in the Top 3. I love this card...my niece would adore it.
--Heather G

Unknown said...

What a sweet and adorable card, love these delicate colors. I would like to thank you for entering my 'C... is for challenge' blog and I wish you good luck in the draw.
Hugs,
Anna xxx

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!